Friday, June 3, 2011

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (Caldecott #2)



Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type is another Caldecott Honor Book written by Doreen Cronin and illustrated by Betsy Lewin.  This book is about a group of cows on Farmer Brown's farm who start typing him notes on a typewriter.  They ask for electric blankets for themselves and the chickens and when Farmer Brown denies the request they refuse to give milk or eggs.  They then compromise with Farmer Brown and tell him that if he gives them electric blankets they will give up the typewriter, sending it via the duck.  However, the ducks start typing their own notes to Farmer Brown asking for things rather than giving him the typewriter.  The book ends with the cycle starting over.

To me, especially when I first read the book, this was basically just a silly, kids story.  While I've been reading these books I've really wished I had a young child at home or a classroom full of kids I could read this to so I could see their reaction.  I'm having to really try hard to put myself in the brain of a preschool or lower elementary student in order to see what the appeal is.  I can see how they would think it is funny that cows and chickens are typing and I also imagine they would think it was hilarious at the end that just when Farmer Brown thinks he is getting a break the ducks start typing notes, too.

Some of the reader reviews from Amazon.com talk about how Click, Clack, Moo appeals to the rebel in children and teaches them negotiation skills.  Also, Click, Clack, Moo is mentioned in the article "9 most subversice children's books ever written" that was posted on our class website.  This article says that Click, Clack, Moo encourages kids to "stick it to the man".  Maybe that was the author's intention but honestly, I just think it was written to be a funny book about the juxtaposition between farm animals and them communicating through type.  I also think it follows a common theme that occurs in children's books where animals participate in human behaviors like wearing clothes, going on picnics, talking, going to school, etc.

Again, like with Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, I really enjoyed the illustrations and the fact that they don't look computer-generated.  When I first read Click, Clack, Moo I thought the pictures looked like they were painted with watercolors.  I saw that inside the book there was a note from the illustrator saying that she did indeed create the pictures out of watercolors.  I think they were beautifully done.

Like I said before, I wish I could experience this being read to young children and get to watch their reaction.  I think that would help me better appreciate the humor and irony of Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type.

No comments:

Post a Comment