Friday, June 3, 2011

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Caldecott #1)


The book I have chosen to read and review is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! written and illustrated by Mo Willems.  Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is a Caldecott Honor Book.  When I was in college for my undergraduate in secondary education, my friend Anne was getting her undergrad and masters in elementary education.  She LOVES this book and I heard her talk about it a lot!  Even after her rave reviews I never got around to reading it, so when I saw it was a Caldecott book I knew it was one of the ones I would pick.

After being in college, teaching high school, reading adult or young adult books recommended by my librarian, and finishing my young adult lit class at WKU, reading a children's book was a big change.  I really haven't read a children's book since I worked at a daycare 2 years ago and even then I was in the toddler room so our books were still very young.  I had forgotten how refreshing books for children can be.

Simplicity was the word that kept popping in my head as I read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!.  I think I have become so used to seeing computer-generated pictures and graphics that looking at the obviously hand-drawn pictures in this book was fascinating.  It looks like Mo Willems just picked up a crayon quickly sketched a story, but that's not a criticism.  I think it is wonderful!  Seeing how each page would have just one or two items drawn with a blank background was a little strange, and yet the story didn't NEED to have lots of busy, colorful pictures.  It was perfect just the way it is.

The story is kind of weird to read quietly in your head; it was definitely written to be an interactive book.  The idea is that a bus driver has to step away from his bus and tells the reader/listener to make sure not to let the pigeon drive.  Of course, as soon as he walks away the pigeon starts begging to drive the bus.  I've never actually read this book around kids but I can imagine that they would love to yell "NO!" every time the pigeon asks.  This part reminds me of a book that I loved as a child called Are there Hippos on the Farm? by Ethel and Len Kessler.  The book names several different animals that live on the farm but each time the same question is asked: Are there hippos on the farm?.  I remember saying loving the fact that I got to say "No!" after they asked the question.

I thought Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! was a great book; it is interactive and would definitely get children involved in the story.  There is also an underlying "moral" to the story is that it helps kids practice saying no to someone who is asking to do things that are wrong.  In fact, the back of the book even says "Finally, a book you can say "no" to!".  I loved this book.  Thanks, Anne!

No comments:

Post a Comment