Monday, June 6, 2011

The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon (International Literature #3)


The full title of this book is The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins.  This book was written by Bea Uusma Schyffert in 1999 and was originally published in Sweden.  Emi Gunter translated it and it was first published in the United States in 2003.  Then in 2004 it became a Batchelder Honor Book.

Wow, wow, wow this book is AWESOME!  I really only picked it because it was one of the few books my library had that were translated from another language.  I expected it to be a boring biography but boy was I wrong.  This book was fascinating!  The format of the book is almost like a scrapbook with snapshots, diagrams, brief facts, and copies of notes all from about about Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and for the most part (as the name suggests) Michael Collins.  The focus is more about Michael Collins who was the third astronaut who went on the Apollo 11 mission to the moon but is rarely remembered because he didn't get to actually walk on the moon (someone had to fly the space shuttle!).  I read this book in the car and I kept reading parts of it aloud to my husband because I found them so interesting.  I ended up reading him almost the whole book because it was all so good!  The book was an easy, quick read but there everyone will enjoy it.  From the technical facts about the ship to the description of the food and how it's packaged to the gross details about bodily functions, children and adults will appreciate and learn from this book.  Of all the books I've read for this blog I think this is my favorite.

Check it out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment